Sunday, September 26, 2010

Latest reads

I've been reading My Life in France by Julia Child for a while and finished it last Thursday. On Friday, I started Julie and Julia and finished it in the same day (I was flying to Cincinnati for my JVC community member Carin's wedding and was stuck in an airport for a couple of hours, plus two almost two hour plane rides). I did enjoy My Life in France. You could really sense Julia Child's exuberance about what was going on and her excitement and frustration over writing Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The movie Julie and Julia pretty much accurately described her experiences and lifted them right from the book. Of course, there are certain elements that they didn't describe in the movie, including what happened after the cookbooks were published, but I liked it. A lot.

As for Julie and Julia, I didn't enjoy that as much. I actually couldn't help but think of Amy Adams whining the entire time I was reading it. It certainly was good, and it was good to read as a companion piece to My Life in France, but I certainly wouldn't pick it up on my own to read without having read the other book first.

I also read Eat, Pray, Love. I started that on Friday and finished it today. When I read a book, if I am into it, and I have nothing else to do, I will devour it. I LOVED that book. It basically was poetry and I loved how Elizabeth Gilbert broke up her experiences into different stories, but still made them flow together in a way that made sense. I, of course, enjoyed it far more than from the movie, and didn't picture Julia Roberts the entire time, which was good. I like Julia Roberts as an actress, but I think that since the book wasn't a narrative like Julie and Julia was, it was easier just to take it for face value.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails