Monday, March 14, 2011

Life update

I am really not good at updating this thing. I need to get better.

As for what is going on in my life, school is almost over. I have one more year after this (thank heavens). I have an interview on Thursday with Yarmouth High School to work as a social work intern. We shall see what happens with that. I'm pretty excited about that. I had previously had an interview at Greely High School, but that didn't pan out. The guy who interviewed me offered to send my resume to other high school social workers. Sure enough, one bit. They had said that they were not sure if they were going to be able to have an intern, but about a week later, they followed through and expressed interest. Fingers crossed!

As for my personal life, my grandmother (dad's mom) isn't doing too well right now. My dad and his sister moved her from her independent living apartment to the nursing home part of where she had been living last Wednesday. She has dementia and needs a lot of help. She was having 24/7 care in her apartment, but it got to the point where the ladies who were taking care of her really couldn't do it anymore. Needless to say, even though she was fine when the told her what was happening, she wasn't fine when they actually moved her. I talked to her yesterday and she didn't say anything about moving. It's hard because I call her every week to say hello, but have the same conversation. I think she knows who I am (have to say your granddaughter Martha because her daughter - my aunt - is also named Martha), but she knows nothing about me. I have the same conversation with her each week - where I live, what I do, and the fact that I am in school. I consider myself lucky that I am almost 27 and I still have three of my grandparents and had all four until I was 21. It is still hard to see my grandmother failing, but what makes it even more difficult is that I never was particularly close with my father's side of the family. I had a lot of health problems when I was growing up and they didn't show my parents much support. Even though I never was close to him, I cried when my grandfather died. And I know that I will do the same when the same happens to my grandmother. She is 92 years old and has had multiple strokes, but has had a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails